Genestra HMF Neuro Powder 2.1 oz (60 grams)
Genestra HMF Neuro Powder- 2.1 oz (60 grams)
• Moderate level probiotic
• 12 Billion CFU per dose
• Includes L-glutamine and fructooligosaccharides
• Ideal for vegans
• Convenient powder format increases patient compliance
HMF Neuro Capsules is a unique preparation containing various strains and species of proprietary human-sourced Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria to help maintain the integrity and health of the intestinal tract.
Pharmax and GENESTRA BRANDS™ are probiotic science and innovation leaders, with over 20+ years of proven experience and an ongoing commitment to incorporate the safest and most effective strains that reflect the latest evidence-based research from human trials. Our probiotics are human-sourced strains, proven in human clinical trials and cover a comprehensive product range.
Additional product info:
The causes of autism are multi-factorial with genetic and environmental factors playing a major role (8). There is also a general consensus that individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) often suffer from gastrointestinal (GI) problems. The cause of these GI problems is unclear, but it appears to partly relate to abnormal gut flora and possibly to the excessive use of oral antibiotics which can alter such gut flora (1). Intestinal hyperpermeability manifests in autistic children as dysbiosis, food intolerances, and exorphin (opioid) intoxication (2),(3), most frequently from casein and gluten (11). Further supporting the notion that natural foods passing through a leaky intestinal mucosa play a role in producing the behavioural symptomatology of autism, several studies reported that improvements in behaviour, including reduced incidence of seizures in autism, were seen after the introduction of a diet free of gluten or a diet free of milk and gluten, which are now considered as standard concomitant approaches (10). Moreover, surveys estimate that 52–95% of children with autism are being treated with complementary alternative medicine (CAM) therapies, which include probiotics as part of such a multi-factorial concomitant approach (11). Finally, probiotics upregulate local and systemic immunity, increase anti-inflammatory cytokines and gut impermeability to bacteria and toxins, and suppress pathogens associated with Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) (7).
HMF Neuro Powder is a probiotic formula indicated to maintain a healthy gut flora. Bifidobacterium bifidum and Lactobacillus lactis are found more commonly in the composition of the intestinal flora of non-allergic children (5),(6). Moreover, the effect of HMF Neuro Powder has been preliminarily evaluated in both normal and autistic human subjects to assess its potential to reduce urinary exorphin levels. Six volunteers were assessed for urinary exorphin level before and after 21 days of supplementation. The results demonstrate profound ability of the HMF Neuro Powder to reduce urinary levels of exorphin B5. Moreover, HMF Neuro Powder has also been tested on a 12 years old autistic child, now re-diagnosed with Asperger’s Sundrome. In this case report, the supplementation of HMF Neuro Powder for one month prior to, then concurrently during the re-introduction of small amounts of wheat and dairy into the diet, resulted in the urinary exorphin level being normal. Removal of HMF Neuro Powder resulted in a sharp increase in the urinary exorphin level four weeks following probiotic withdrawal (8).
Glutamine has been included in the formulation of HMF Neuro Powder as a supportive nutrient for the gastrointestinal tract and immune system (9).
1. Adams JB, Johansen LJ, Powell LD, Quig D, Rubin RA. Gastrointestinal flora and gastrointestinal status in children with autism--comparisons to typical children and correlation with autism severity. BMC Gastroenterol. 2011 Mar 16;11:22.
2. Reichelt KL, Knivsberg AM. Can the pathophysiology of autism be explained by the nature of the discovered urine peptides? Nutr Neurosci. 2003 Feb;6(1):19-28.
3. Reichelt KL, Knivsberg AM. The possibility and probability of a gut-to-brain connection in autism. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2009 Oct-Dec;21(4):205-11.
4. Brudnak MA. Probiotics as an adjuvant to detoxification protocols. Med Hypotheses. 2002 May;58(5):382-5.
5. Ozdemir O. Various effects of different probiotic strains in allergic disorders: an update from laboratory and clinical data. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010 Jun;160(3):295-304.
6. Kim JY, Kwon JH, Ahn SH, Lee SI, Han YS, Choi YO, Lee SY, Ahn KM, Ji GE. Effect of probiotic mix (Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus acidophilus) in the primary prevention of eczema: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010 Mar;21(2 Pt 2):e386-93.
7. Tarnow-Mordi WO, Wilkinson D, Trivedi A, Brok J. Probiotics reduce all-cause mortality and necrotizing enterocolitis: it is time to change practice. Pediatrics. 2010 May;125(5):1068-70.
8. Plummer N. Intestinal Effects on Autism and ADHD – Potential for a Novel Probiotic Approach. Pharmax Technical Monograph.
9. NHPD Monograph on Glutamine. February 2008.
10. White JF. Intestinal pathophysiology in autism. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2003 Jun;228(6):639-49.
11. Golnik AE, Ireland M. Complementary alternative medicine for children with autism: a physician survey. J Autism Dev Disord. 2009 Jul;39(7):996-1005.
12. Kidd PM. Autism, an extreme challenge to integrative medicine. Part: 1: The knowledge base. Altern Med Rev. 2002 Aug;7(4):292-316.
Other ingredients: Apricot powder